Never Cut Your Own Bangs

I stood in front of the mirror, scissors in hand. This was it. The thought had crossed my mind many times before, but I've always stopped myself because, well,  I can't cut a straight line. But an unknown confidence surged, and I thought...maybe I can do this: there's only one way to find out. So, I started small. Just a little feathered angle down the left side of my face so I could use my trusty right hand. I mean, I've seen hairdressers do it time and time again...just pull the bangs through your fingers, cut along an angle, and voila! Bangs! It can't be that hard, can it? So, I went for it. And I watched as six 1/4-long strands of my brown hair fell to the sink below. And in that moment, I was very grateful I started out small because, I CAN'T CUT HAIR! WHAT WAS I THINKING?! I DON'T HAVE THE PATIENCE TO CUT A STRAIGHT LINE ON PAPER! And I was about to cut my own hair?! That hair that frames the face that people look at?! My crown of glory?! (Is that a thing?) Well, needless to say, I'm glad I returned back to reality before I looked like a "SuperShortBang Barbie" those devious toddlers carry around. So, what led me to this point, you might wonder? Financially destitute? Stranded in a foreign country without hair cutting professionals? Drunk or on some illegal drugs? A dare? No sadly. The culprit: Procrastination, my friends. A new low for Bridget Hedinger in the game to avoid work.
For the record, the bangs I did cut are hardly recognizable, but I will say when I put my hair in a poof there are now some hairs that seem to not know where they belong. Sin separates us, my friends. Hair and all.

What am I procrastinating? Well, it's crunch time for me at San Diego Destino Project and I'm doing my best to breathe and also prepare a lot of studies, trainings and talks this week. And I have found that I do some weird things in the name of procrastination and I thought I'd share them with you so you can share in my joy and my pains:) And also, so I can procrastinate from more work. We all knew it was coming. Actually that's a lie. I'm done working for the night, but I wrote this list on a church bulletin while I was preparing my 2 women's times talks on Sunday for Sunday so I could get my thoughts out to blog at a later date. And here we are. So, these are things I've done in the name of procrastination this week:

-While listening to my Colbie Caillat Pandora station while working on stuff, I became ashamed of the fact that I knew so little about the woman I was listening to. It became apparent that I needed to do my research. 
Where was she from? Maybe she was from SoCal. Oh, she is from CA! Maybe she'd be in concert soon. Oh, she's playing in Wabash, IN,...how much are those tickets? $74! No way. Are there any biographies on her? I wonder if she's a Christian. Not much on her religious background. Oh, she has family in Hawaii...I want to go to Hawaii. There is a 9 minute youtube of a guy interviewing her about Hawaii in an RV in Hawaii...I need to watch that. What concerts do I want to go to next? OOH, Sara Bareilles just started playing.


-Sara Bareilles...what's her story? "Gravity" might be my favorite song right now...I should learn how to play that on the guitar. Where can I find chords for that? Man, I need to learn more of her songs...King of Anything. What's that about? Is she dogging Christians who share their faith in the song? I need to read an interview about it. Oh, she says she's gotten "more unsolicited advice in her life than she care to talk about". She seems a little jaded. What's her background? OOh, she grew up in CA, too. Catholic background...interesting. Oh, Catholic background...I need to get back to my women's time talk.

After about 15 minutes of focusing, the next thing happened:


-Facebook! Facebook always happens. And lately I've been living the American dream of spending hours looking at pictures of myself on Facebook. Pictures of myself, as well as pictures I just posted to facebook. Why is it not enough to just enjoy an event, take some pictures on your camera and leave it at that? But no, I need to see them full-sized on my computer. Over and over again. And I love seeing myself in what I consider "my natural habitat". What do I look like in candid photos? How do others see me? What my procrastination exposes is that I love learning about others and I love thinking about myself. Oh vanity. Good thing I didn't cut my bangs.

I also found myself downloading apps because I determined I sleep really well in San Diego because of the air conditioner right by my bed that creates some amazing white noise. I figured, there must be an app for that and tried to see if I could recreate this restful sleep in Muncie. (Still in progress) I've also done dishes, ate more food that I can say without being ashamed, walked around the pool and chatted with people,

So, even with all my procrastination, the Lord was faithful and we had a great women's time, the devo this morning and training time tonight went well. Now I'm trusting Him for a Bible study on the prayers through Ephesians tomorrow and a talk on the Holy Spirit Thursday. Then I'm going to the San Diego Zoo, suckers:)

Now, to rest.

Comments

Popular Posts