what brings me back to blogging?

I know, I know. I haven't been much of a blogger since...well...STINT. First it was because I didn't feel like I had anything to write, then it was because I felt I didn't have enough time to write. I'm not sure if it's the nature of Christmas break, watching Julie & Julia, the comfort of the borrowed-Snuggie I'm wearing, or that I'm actually rested enough to string together some coherent thoughts, but look out blogging world, I'm back. But if we're being honest (some call it pessimistic, I just call it real) this may be the last post for another year or so.

Yes, I think it was the movie Julie&Julia that inspired me to blog. I decided if I were to blog again, I'd want to review movies. Because, well, I've been watching a lot of movies lately and I've realized I trust my friends' reviews of movies over those people who are paid to review movies. So, here's my attempt at being a movie critic. I mean, I did take a film class in college, so that makes me qualified, right?

The Blindside:
I'm going to be brutally honest. I looked forward to church all week because I had plans to see this movie after service. Praise the Lord for the 5 Buck Club and popcorn lunch. Nothing makes you feel more white trash than sneaking in your Burger King chicken nuggets, only to order the Large Mega Tub Combo with 2 Diet Cokes. (yes, this was the lunch I split with my friend, Sarah). Nothing makes you feel like more of a fatty fatty two-by-four like ordering a Large Mega Tub, and nothing makes you feel more like an oxymoron than ordering the Large Mega Tub Combo with Diet Coke. I am an Ellen Degeneres joke.

Nonetheless, the movie was everything I was looking for in a post-church Sunday afternoon activity. Better than a nap, The Blindside made my heart warm the entire film. And you know that part of the movie you know is coming and hate, but know is necessary so the ending is even sweeter? The part when it all hits the fan and you get really sad and angry, even though you know it all has to turn out all right? Well, two thumbs up, because that part was short and bearable. The Blindside makes me want to look outside my own community and love those less fortunate than I. It also makes me want to adopt a black adolescent, but I have a feeling I'd have better luck just dating one. Too much? All that said, I say see The Blindside in the 5 buck club. It's worth going to a theater for.

As for DVD Rentals, I Redboxed (yes, that's a verb, now) Julie&Julia and I have mixed feelings about it. There were times that I giggled in glee, and I definitely loved Meryl Streep's performance as Julia Child. She played it brillantly and I loved Julia more for it. However, I was a bit disturbed by the way Julie idolized Julia, taking it to a creepy level by saying how Julia would get her through, how she was always there for her, etc. Julia became her Jesus and it just made me feel uncomfortable. It did, however, provide great comic fodder for my roommate Elizabeth. As she headed home to PA, leaving me alone in Muncie, she reminded me, "If you ever get lonely, remember....Julia is always with you." Ridiculous! Also, the movie just went on a little too long. So what's my overall review: this is a great movie to rent if you have other things you can be multi-tasking with. If not, probably not worth your time.

So there you go, blogging world. My movie reviews. Hope you can all benefit from these incredible insights:).

Comments

OMG YOU'RE BACK!!!

When I recover from screaming and falling to my knees in delight, I will write a real comment.

BECAUSE YOU'RE BACK!!!
OK, I've recovered but honestly there was so much in this post that it overwhelms to try to narrow down what I loved the most. So let's just say everything.

However, one item does stand out. Please, PLEASE continue reviewing movies. Your public needs you to tell them what to watch and why.

P.S. I'm *so* there with the "one mega super deluxe large barrel of popcorn and a diet dr pepper with six shots of vanilla please."

Popular Posts