Praying and Planning

I've been praying for months that God would do abundantly more than we could ask or imagine. I cast vision saying things like, "What if we had to meet in Worthen Arena because we no longer fit in Pruis Hall?"(which seats 708, we found out). We pray that we'll have more girls interested in small groups than we have leaders to lead. We pray that we'll have so many coming to Christ that we can't follow-up with them all. But I've been challenged so much in my thinking lately. I say these things and I pray for these things, but my faith only goes so far. I hope, but I don't plan. And I think God is asking me to take it to the next level. What does it look like to plan for God to move? And why haven't I been doing that already?

I think at the core I can be afraid to trust the Lord for big things because I'm afraid I'll look dumb if they don't come pan out the way I'd hoped. I'm afraid of disappointment. It's like inviting 50 people to your house and making food for all of them, but then having just 1 show up. It's embarrassing. And I don't want to be embarrassed. I want to save face; play it safe.

But that's not the kind of faith the Lord has given us. He has given us expectant faith. He has given us hope that doesn't disappoint. And I think if I start planning for God to move...expecting that Pruis will be overflowing this week so planning to have a live feed in another location, that may even encourage students to invite others and fill the space instead of feeling like they don't have to do their part in inviting people. If we trust God for big things and make plans for it to happen, isn't there more of a drive to actually pursue the goal? I want to trust the Lord for big things, believing He is a God that delights in abundance and never disappoints. I want to be known for failing big and looking dumb for trusting God to show up. I'd rather that be the case than playing it safe and never experiencing being "wow'ed" by God.

Oh, and for the record, He continues to "wow" me. Action group tonight...so incredible. He is a God who answers prayers. I genuinely believe the Lord is sparking a revival. I think this because I have been avoiding the "revival bandwagon" for the past 2 years but now am convinced it's happening. Get on board, friends. It is an exciting ride! 

Oh, and if you read this, I'd love prayer. I'm talking on John 6-Jesus: I am the bread of life at our weekly meeting this Wednesday. Pray we'd be filled to overflowing, that I'd be about making Jesus known and not people liking me or my speaking abilities, and that many would come to find true, satisfying, eternal life in Jesus alone. Could be big and I want to rely on Jesus for all of it.


Comments

Popular Posts